You can’t have “griot” without the rice and beans! Scroll down for the other recipes I have to complete this meal. Of course you can make this with any vegetables, seafood, or chicken on the side. Try to use dry beans instead of the canned ones because the liquid from cooking the beans really gives the rice a much better taste. I always have dried beans stocked up in the pantry for rainy, lazy days. Don’t forget to check out the other recipes that complete this meal.
Cheap and protein packed rice.Print Recipe Pin Recipe Rate Recipe
- 2 cup red kidney beans dry
- 3 cup jasmine rice
- 3 cup water from beans
- 5 whole cloves
- 4 clove garlic
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp Oil
- The night before, soak the beans. Make sure you have at least double the water to cover the beans. After soaking at least 12 hours, drain and rinse well.
- Wash and drain the rice.
- Boil the beans in a large pot with 5 cups of water. Cover and cook for about 45 minutes or until the beans are tender. Add water if it starts to try out. Drain the beans over a large bowl so you can keep the cooking liquid, using this for the rice gives it better taste and color.
- On medium-high heat put the oil in the aluminum caldero pot. Add minced garlic, cooking for 1 minute, then add beans, cloves and salt to taste and cook for another 2 minute.
- Add the rice and the liquid from the beans, raise the heat to high to bring to a boil. Keep boiling until there is almost no more liquid. Put the lid on and reduce the heat to low (3). Cook for 30 minutes. Do not open the lid while the rice is cooking.
- After 30 minutes fluff the rice with a fork. The brown crispy rice that is on the bottom of the pot is called gratin, which can also be served if you like crunchy rice.
- Want your rice to have more flavor? Add 1 beef bouillon cube to the water.
Calories: 342kcal | Carbohydrates: 66g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 591mg | Potassium: 258mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 36mg | Iron: 2mg
Tried this recipe?Mention @chichilicious_food or tag #chichilicious!
Tasty & tender pieces of pork.Check out this recipe
Fried Plantains Recipe (Banan peze)
An easy recipe for crispy thin fried plantain bananas, a very addictive side dish!Check out this recipe
Spicy pickled cabbage and carrot condiment.Check out this recipe
Creole Seasoning Recipe
A versatile seasoning to spice up your life!Check out this recipe