This General Tso recipe is more time consuming, but when you live in the suburbs without a good Chinese restaurants, this recipe will be worth the work and satisfy your craving. For us, this is better than take-out because Mr. Picky only eats white meat, and doesn’t like too much batter. This recipe requires double frying, which I have to stress, is a step you cannot skip because it is the KEY to making super crispy chicken.
Why have soggy General Tso take-out, when you can make it at home.Print Recipe Pin Recipe Rate Recipe
- 2 Chicken breast
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce light
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1/4 tsp white pepper
- 1 cup corn starch
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce light
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce dark
- 6 tbsp white sugar
- 3/4 Tbsp black vinegar
- 1/2 Tbsp Sambal chili sauce
- 2 Tbsp Ketchup
- 1/2 Tbsp Hoisin
- 1/2 Tbsp Sriracha
- 1/4 cup Water
- 1/4 tsp chicken bouillon powder
- 1/2 Tbsp ginger
- 2 clove garlic
- 2 red chili
- 1 Tbsp green onion
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- Cut the chicken into bite size pieces, about 1/2 inch. Marinate with the soy sauce, sesame oil, and white pepper. Set aside for 30 minutes.
- In a large pan with high sides, heat on medium high 2 inches of oil.
- Mix all of the ingredients for the sauce in a bowl. Set aside.
- Place the corn starch in a large bowl and coat each piece of chicken really well pressing the corn starch into the chicken. The coating should be opaque and no longer sticky.
- Test the oil, use a wooden chopstick or end of spatula put into the oil, if there are bubbles then it is ready. Place a few pieces of chicken at a time, try not to overcrowd the pot. Cook until light golden brown, about 3 minutes and put it on a paper lined rack. Continue till you finish the first fry for all the pieces.
- In the meantime, in a wok cook the ginger, garlic, and red chili in 1 TBSP of oil. Add the sauce and reduce to a syrup consistency.
- Double fry the chicken this time you can add all the chicken if you have space, if not do it in 2 batches. Add it to the wok, and toss the sauce until it is well coated. Garnish with sesame seeds and green onions. Serve with cooked white rice. Bon appétit!
Calories: 374kcal | Carbohydrates: 55g | Protein: 27g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 72mg | Sodium: 1350mg | Potassium: 555mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 22g | Vitamin A: 319IU | Vitamin C: 36mg | Calcium: 16mg | Iron: 1mg
Tried this recipe?Mention @chichilicious_food or tag #chichilicious!