These have to be the best chocolate chunk cookies I’ve had. You won’t even be able to tell that it doesn’t have any butter in it. I have been trying to eat less meat and animal products in general. When I realized how easy it was to substitute eggs in baking without compromising on taste, I’m all for it. This recipe uses Bob’s Mill Gluten Free 1:1 Baking Flour (blue bag). If your not into that, use the same amount of all purpose flour.
One of the most important thing to remember. Use really good quality chocolate for this recipe, since it is the star of the show. I like using Baker’s 70% chocolate which I chop myself, or dairy free chocolate chunks. Chopping the chocolate into chunks means you can control the size of the chocolate. More chocolate equals happiness. This is the one time “less is more” does not apply.
To ensure these are vegan chocolate chunk cookies, make sure to read the ingredients for milk, even if it says semi-sweet chocolate. You would be surprised how many brands have dairy in them.
- 3/4 cup coconut oil melted
- 1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 3/4 cup brown sugar packed
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cup Bob's Mill gluten free 1:1 baking flour see notes
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp instant coffee
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup dairy free chocolate chunks
- In a large glass bowl put coconut oil and microwave until it is melted, about 40 seconds.
- Add room temperature apple sauce, white sugar, brown sugar, and pure vanilla extract mix well with a wire whisk until the mixture is completely homogeneous.
- In a separate bowl. Mix the dry ingredients, then pour into the wet ingredients and mix with a wooden spoon until incorporated.
- Place cookie batter in the fridge for 15 minutes. This will ensure that your batter is cooled before adding the chocolate chunks.
- While you wait for the batter to chill, chop your chocolate into large chunks.
- Gently fold your chocolate chunks into the cookie batter. Return to the fridge for another hour.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Prepare a sheet pan with parchment paper or silicone mat. Use a small ice cream scoop to portion out the cookies. You can place it back into the fridge until it is much firmer then place it into a plastic bag and save them in the freezer.
- Place cookie on a lined sheet pan 2 inches apart. Bake for 12 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes before enjoying.
- Frozen cookies will cook for 1-2 minutes longer.