Change up your plain rice for this brown lentil rice recipe, it’s tasty enough to eat it on its own or have it as a side dish with your favorite protein. You can also make it for any one who is a vegetarian since it has added protein to keep you fuller longer.
- 1 1/2 cup brown lentils
- 3 cup water or stock
- 1/2 cup onion
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 Tbsp butter
- Soak the lentils for 30 minutes - 1 hour in a large bowl with water.
- Rinse the lentils to get rid of any impurities. Boil with enough water to cover the lentils. Boil for about 5 minutes and remove the water (this cleans the lentils even more.) Add double the amount of water and boil until lentils are cooked. About 15-20 minutes.
- Clean rice a couple of times and remove the water. Add the same amount of the water from the lentils to the rice. I use the rice cooker so usually if I am making 2 cups of rice I will use 2 cups of the water that I used to boil the lentils.
- Start sauteing the onions in butter on low-medium heat, make sure not to burn the butter, once you see the onions softening add the cumin and salt and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add the lentils and onions to the rice ad stir.