From the moment I ate this in one of my favorite Japanese restaurants in Montreal, I knew I had to try to re-create it at home. Sushi grade raw tuna as you may know from my blog, is one of my best-loved protein. It might look fancy, but in reality it is actually very easy to do. You can serve this up as an appetizer like I did here, or make more tuna and eat it as a main course over a bed of shoba noodles and vegetables.
Tuna Steak with Brandy Sauce Recipe
- 6 ounces Sushi grade tuna
- 1 Tbsp pepper coarsely ground
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 ounce Brandy
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 2 1/2 Tbsp soy Sauce
- 1 Tbsp Mirin
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 Tbsp fried spaghetti see notes
- 2 green onion
- In a small pot add the sugar, soy sauce, Mirin, and brandy. Let the sauce reduce till it coats the back of a spoon. and then add the cream. Set aside.
- Heat up a pan on medium high. You may use a griddle pan or BBQ to give the tuna grill marks.
- Season the tuna with salt and pepper. Be very generous with the pepper you want to coat it completely. Pressing the cracked pepper into the tuna.
- Oil the pan and gently place the tuna in the center. Cook for 20 seconds on each side.
- Using a sharp knife, slice the tuna into 1/8" slices.
- Spoon a bit of the sauce on top of the tuna, and garnish with fried spaghetti and green onions.