The classic Italian dessert meaning, “pick me up” is a cake with ladyfingers dipped in espresso and layers of mascarpone cream and dusted with cocoa powder. Coffee and cocoa is a match made in heaven I don’t know anyone who doesn’t like tiramisù.
- 6 egg yolks
- 4 Tbsp white sugar
- 5 Tbsp Marsala wine
- 1 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 275 g Mascarpone cheese
- 1 1/2 cup espresso fresh brewed
- 1/2 Tbsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 pack ladyfingers
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- In a heat proof bowl, add the egg yolks and sugar and beat until pale yellow. Place the bowl on top of a pot with simmering water (double boiler.) Gradually adding 2 Tbsp Marsala wine, keep whisking until the mixture becomes thicker about 3-4 minutes. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- In a mixing bowl whip the mascarpone cheese until smooth. Set Aside.
- In another mixing bowl put the heavy whipping cream with 2 TBSP of sugar and whip until soft peaks form. Remove the egg yolk mixture from the refrigerator (zabaglione) and add the mascarpone to it and mix until incorporated, then add the whipped cream mixture and gently fold in, until smooth.
- Brew the espresso coffee, and add the vanilla extract and remaining 3 Tbsp of Marsala wine.
- In a 9" x 9" pan lay the ladyfingers in a single layer, spoon a tablespoon on espresso on the ladyfingers, then add 1/3 of the mascarpone cream and spread it evenly. Dust with cocoa powder.
- Repeat this process two more times.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 48 hours before serving. The ideal time is 72 hours because that's when the ladyfingers have really absorbed all the flavors.