This is a version inspired by the Indian dish Aloo gobi which I love ordering every time we go to an Indian restaurant. Don’t be intimidated by the word “spiced” it does not mean that it is spicy, but fragrant using spices like cumin, coriander, and turmeric. We do love eating spicy foods though, so I do add 1/4 of a teaspoon of cayenne powder to give it just a tiny kick but in the recipe below you’ll notice I only put 1/8 of a teaspoon so that will not make it spicy at all.
Spiced Cauliflower and Potato Recipe
- 2 cup potato
- 2 cup cauliflower
- 5 clove garlic minced
- 1 shallot minced
- 1 1/2 Tbsp oil
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp ground coriander
- 1 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp cayenne optional
- 1/4 cup water
- Cut the cauliflower florets and rinse to clean, peel and dice the potatoes into 2 cm cubes. Rinse the potatoes well, and drain.
- Mince 5 cloves of garlic, and chop the shallot. Place in a small bowl.
- In another small bowl add the onion powder, turmeric, ground cumin, ground coriander, cayenne, and salt. Set aside.
- In a non stick pan or wok, place cooking oil and fry the garlic and shallots for 30 seconds.
- Add the bowl with all the spices into the pan, and cook for another 30 seconds.
- Add all of the potatoes and cauliflower, mix well to get the spices coating the vegetables.
- Pour the water, and cover with a lid, turn down the heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove the lid and raise the heat to medium- high continue to cook until all the vegetables are tender, and there is a little bit of browning, tossing occasionally.
- Serve as a side with curry, and with naan bread. Bon Appétit!