I fell in love with these the moment I had them. My mother-in-law makes these for Christmas along with a variety of delicious traditional Italian cookies. Once you start you will find it very difficult to stop, they are so addictive, my stash never makes it more than 4-5 days. Since I have stopped eating gluten I thought I would never eat it again until we tried it with “Irresistibles” gluten free all purpose flour. The gluten free flour is a bit more dense so if you are using this recipe and want to use regular flour you might have to add a little bit more to get a thick batter.
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup butter melted
- 1 tsp Rum
- 2 cup gluten free flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract
- Pinch salt
- 1 zest lemon or orange
- Preheat your pizzelle iron or electric pizzelle maker.
- In a large bowl mix all the ingredients well, you will get a thick and sticky batter this is normal.
- Using 2 teaspoons or a small ice cream scoop, place a teaspoon of batter in the middle of the iron.
- Close it and wait about 15-20 seconds, the pizzelle should be pale and just shy of golden brown.
- Store in a container, it can keep up to a month.