Every busy home needs a few one pot pasta recipes on rotation. I like making this in my cast iron pan, but you don’t have to if you don’t have one. This is a good one pot pasta recipe for this time of the year because the tomatoes in the garden are starting to ripen, and I also pick some herbs and chili from the garden.
- 400 g penne pasta
- 1 Tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 2 Italian sausage
- 2 cup tomato diced
- 1 shallot
- 2 clove garlic
- 1 red chili
- 2 Tbsp Kalamata olives
- 2 cups water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 Tbsp basil
- 1 1/2 Tbsp parsley flat leave
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- Prep all your ingredients. Dice tomatoes, finely chop the shallots, herbs, chili, olives and garlic.
- Heat a 10 or 12" pan on medium high heat, add the oil. Remove the casing from the sausage and put in the hot pan. Use a spatula to break into smaller pieces, once the sausage start browning add the shallots, onions, garlic and chili. Cook for 1 minute and add the olives and 1 1/2 cups of diced tomatoes.
- Add the penne pasta in the pan, add the water and salt. Simmer on low-medium heat and keep stirring to prevent it from sticking, after about 7 minutes when the pasta is al dente close the heat and stir in the reserved 1/2 cup of tomatoes, parmesan cheese, and herbs. Enjoy!