OK, so you know how cake pops, cupcake pops and all kinda small and cute pops are so in right now? well here’s a recipe that I adapted from one of my dessert recipe books. Mini Sweets by Sunil Vijayakar. I fell in love with these the first time I saw them because I love eating candy apples, but they are so huge and messy I never bother buying them because I never finish the whole apple. I eat half of it and then get a cramp in the jaw because of the hard candy. So these are perfect little bite sized versions of them and super easy and fun to make!
- 2 red apple firm
- 1/2 lemon juice
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 5 drops red food coloring
- 2 sticks cinnamon
- In a medium size saucepan put water, sugar, cinnamon stick, and butter and bring to a gentle boil until the sugar has dissolved. Raise the heat to medium-high for 15-20 minutes or until it has a deep golden brown color. Once it starts to evaporate, you will notice a lot of bubbles and foam, this is normal, just keep stirring and make sure it doesn't overflow. When you get the deep golden brown color your candy is ready! put 4-6 drops of red food coloring and mix well.
- In the meantime, with a melon scoop start scooping out the apples. You can scoop out 6-10 balls per apple, depending on the size of your apples. Place all the balls in a bowl and squeeze 1/2 lemon juice to coat them. With the lollipop stick pierce each apple ball, starting with the flesh side. Put aside and wait for the sugar to be ready.
- Prepare a plate with parchment paper.
- This is where you have to work as fast as you can. Taking each lollipop, dunk them into the candy and place it on the plate. Serve immediately, or put it in the fridge until you will be serving them. Enjoy!