One of the easiest cookie recipes you can make. These Italian lemon cookies are a classic for the holidays, just one among the 15 different varieties of Italian cookies on the dessert platter for Christmas. If you didn’t know, in an Italian Christmas eve supper the dessert is equally (or more) important than the main courses itself. There are so many different homemade cookies, maybe a cake or a Tiramisu, a Christmas log, fruits, etc…
- 3 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup icing sugar
- 1 cup oil neutral
- 1 lemon zest
- 3 Tbsp icing sugar
- 1/2 lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Add all of the ingredients for the cookie in a medium sized bowl, make sure to add the flour one cup at a time. The texture should be a soft cookie dough texture. When you make a ball with it there are no cracks, but it is not too wet that it sticks to your hands. Mix well with a wooden spoon or spatula.
- Spoon about a teaspoon of cookie dough onto hands and make 1 1/2 inch balls, place on a parchment lined pan. Put it in the oven for 12-14 minutes, remove as soon as it is cooked, you are not looking for any golden brown color on the cookie, that will be overcooked and dry. If you are not sure then check under one cookie after 12 minutes and if it has a teeny tiny hint of golden color than it is ready.
- Wait until the cookies have cooled completely. Mix the icing sugar and lemon juice in a bowl, you want a thick liquid glaze. Dip the cookies in the glaze and place on parchment paper. You can make these cookies in advance and freeze them, just don't put the glaze on them.