Me and my obsession for matcha green tea and anything mochi. Those are two of my absolute favorite things in the world. This recipe is not for your usual looking mochi ball dessert with red bean paste inside (i have a recipe for that here), instead this is a much easier recipe and it’s more of a mochi cake… If you search for “mochi cake” online it will probably bring you to the popular Hawaiian “Butter Mochi Cake,” although I have never tried this I am sure it tastes delicious, but this recipe is a matcha based mochi. This is a great treat to pair with glass of hot green tea, but keep in mind that all that green tea and matcha might keep you up at night !
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare a 4 X 8 loaf pan with parchment paper. See notes
- Mix all the dry ingredients. Put the Mochiko flour, sugar, and Matcha powder in a bowl and mix well.
- Add the egg, coconut milk, pure vanilla extract and butter and mix until well incorporated.
- Pour into the pan and bake for 35 minutes. Till a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Allow for the cake to cool completely before cutting into squares.
- If you really like the taste of green tea then you can dust a bit on top of the icing sugar.
- Mochiko is a sweet rice flour made from short grain glutinous rice.
- I use a loaf pan for this recipe since it makes a small portion about 10 squares. It is also best eaten the day you make it. Although it can keep for 3 days in an air tight container, the top will lose its crispiness. You can double the recipe and then use a 8 X 8 pan.