Once it begins warming up again and the anticipation for BBQ season is slowly creeping in, what are the vegetables you look forward to cooking the most? Grilled asparagus is one of those vegetables that take no time to cook, and taste delicious.
Asparagus season is in early May and is harvested for 6-8 weeks, and most of it produced in Canada comes from Ontario, BC, and Quebec. So don’t forget to support your local markets. Since it has been raining here, we are still a couple weeks away from taking out our BBQ. So here is a quick and easy asparagus recipe that can be roasted in the oven as well as on the grill.
- 350 g Asparagus
- 2 clove garlic minced
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 1/2 Tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp Balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lemon zest
- Preheat oven on broil. The highest setting. Move the rack to the very top.
- Trim about 1 1/2" off the stem of the asparagus. Wash and dry.
- In a small bowl, put the minced garlic, salt, pepper, maple syrup, balsamic vinegar, and olive oil. Stir well.
- Line a large sheet pan with aluminum, and place the asparagus then pour the sauce over and gently toss. Then arrange in one layer.
- Put into the oven and cook for 4 minutes. Remove from oven and grate the zest of one lemon. Enjoy!