To be honest I was never a fan of tomato soup, I did not understand why people liked the liquid ketchup in a can “soup.” It was only a few years ago when I saw Gordon Ramsay making tomato soup and grilled cheese, and how he looked so passionate about this simple dish. It made me curious to try homemade tomato soup, and of course I had to taste Gordon’s all time favorite food. I have to admit that tomato soup is best paired with grilled cheese, its just those foods that come hand in hand. Just like apple pie and vanilla ice cream. You can not have one without the other, they complete each other.
- 6 plum tomatoes
- 6 beefsteak tomatoes or other
- 2 clove garlic
- 1 cup onion
- 1/4 cup red pepper
- 1/2 cup potato
- 1 L Vegetable broth
- 2 Tsp sugar
- 1/4 cup basil fresh
- 3 Tbsp Heavy cream
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Wash and cut tomatoes in half, place on a lined baking sheet along with the onion, pepper, and garlic cloves. Drizzle with olive oil. Bake for about 45 minutes to one hour.
- In a large pot put everything that was roasted from the pan including juices, add the peeled and cut potato, and add all of the broth, bring to a boil and then simmer on med-low until all the vegetables are soft, about 20-30 minutes. Adjust to taste, you might need to add more or less sugar depending on the types of tomatoes used.
- Blend the soup until it is smooth and then add the chopped basil leaves and blend for a couple of seconds just until the basil is finely chopped. You still want to see little bits of the basil throughout the soup. Finally add the cream and stir, serve with grilled cheese. Enjoy!