Chinese fried rice is an easy and quick comfort food using whatever you have left in the fridge and some day old rice. I like the authentic Chinese fried rice but this time I took some Thai inspired ingredients to make this recipe, it has the perfect balance of sweet, salty, and spicy. This basil fried rice is very fragrant because we are using jasmine rice and holy basil, these two ingredients on its own are naturally fragrant. Make sure you do not cook your rice with too much water, you want to keep the grains of rice whole and not sticking together. For protein, I used a turkey breast cutlet from my freezer, you can use what ever protein you like, chicken breast and tofu are very popular. Also, use up any vegetables you have in the fridge. To make it gluten free, make sure all your sauces are free of wheat.
- 1 chicken breast
- 1 tsp corn starch
- 1 tsp tamari
- Pinch white pepper
- 4 cup cooked Jasmin rice
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 onion
- 1/2 carrot
- 1 red chilies with seeds
- 1/2 cup holy basil
- 1/4 cup green onion
- 1/2 Tbsp sugar
- 1 Tbsp fish sauce
- 1 Tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 Tbsp tamari
- Marinate your protein. Dice the chicken breast and mix with tamari, corn starch and white pepper. Set aside.
- Prepare all of your ingredients. Dice the onions, carrots, and red chili and put it in a small bowl.
- Mix all of the ingredients for the sauce.
- Rinse and tear the holy basil into small pieces.
- In a wok, on high heat add a couple of teaspoons of oil to the pan and fry the onions, carrots, and chilli for 30 seconds, add the chicken breast and fry until the meat is 60% cooked. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Add a bit more oil and scramble the eggs until it is just a little bit runny, add the rice, the veggies and the meat back to the wok. Add the sauce and fry until well combined and the sauce is evenly mixed. about 2 minutes. Turn off the heat and add the basil.
- This recipe can serve 3 people if you are just eating fried rice, and assuming they love rice. If not, you can serve 4 with sides.